Additional services for foreign students
GERMAN Zusätzliches Seviceangebot für Auslandsstudierende
TURKEY Yurtdışından gelen öğrenciler için yeni ek servis teklifi
RUSSIAN Дополнительные услуги для иностранных студентов
Is it the first time you’ve studied in Austria?
Is your German still very basic?
Worried about settling in quickly and having to organise everything yourself?
Then let us give you a helping hand, and take advantage of our additional services.
ÖJAB can help you by:
- picking you up from the airport and taking you to your ÖJAB residence.
- making sure you can move into your residence when it’s convenient for you, including outside office hours and at weekends.
- assisting with your official registration, or doing it on your behalf.
- guiding you through the enrolment process at your university and for your German course.
- helping with your application for a student travel card for use on public transport.
- assisting you with registration for compulsory health insurance.
- accompanying you when collecting your residence permit or visa from the relevant authority (Municipal Department 35 of the City of Vienna).
- offering a supplementary German course to build on the compulsory course (see point 4 above) which will bring your German skills up to a high standard (at additional cost). Examination preparation courses are also available.
Detailed description of services:
- 1. An ÖJAB staff member will meet you at arrivals in the airport terminal, issue you with a welcome pack (including details of your ÖJAB residence and the place where you are studying), and help you with your luggage. You will then be driven to your ÖJAB residence by car, either on your own or as part of a small group.
- 2. You will be able to move in immediately on arrival, regardless of the time of day or day of the week. An ÖJAB staff member will process your arrival, give you your room key and help you to fill in the required forms, before giving you a tour of the residence including tips to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
- 3. Everyone living in Austria is required to register their new place of residence within three days. The authority responsible for registration then issues an official registration certificate (Meldezettel). This document is necessary in order to complete the subsequent steps in your dealings with the authorities.
On the next working day following your arrival, an ÖJAB staff member will accompany you to the relevant authority and help you to obtain your registration certificate.
- 4. Next you will have to enrol at your university. An ÖJAB staff member will assist you with this process so you can begin your studies as soon as possible.
They will also help you to enrol on any preparatory courses which you are required to take (e.g. a German course).
- 5. Your confirmation of enrolment at university and on your German course (if relevant), as well as your registration certificate are necessary to apply for your student travel card. The card is valid on all forms of public transport in Vienna (underground, tram, bus and rapid transit rail services). It is valid for a university semester (five months) and costs Euro 75. The winter semester runs from 1 September to 31 January, and the summer semester from 1 February to 30 June.
- 6. Students are required by law to take out personal health insurance at the designated insurance authority. In order to do this, you will need your confirmation of enrolment at university and on your German course, as well as your passport. This health insurance is required for the issue of your residence permit by Municipal Department 35 (MA 35) of the City of Vienna. The insurance costs Euro 51.33 a month. An ÖJAB staff member will accompany you to the health insurance authority to assist you with all aspects of the process.
- 7. Once you have completed all of the steps outlined above, you then have to obtain your student residence permit from MA 35. An ÖJAB staff member will accompany you to the MA 35 office to help you complete this process.
- 8. To help you begin your studies as quickly as possible we can offer a supplementary German course which runs in parallel to your compulsory course at the university. Crash courses for examination preparation are also available. These German courses are not included in the price and are charged separately.
You can order the additional services described above when you register for your place at an ÖJAB residence. Simply click at “Extra foreign student service“ in the field of the online registration form (currently available only for stays in Vienna).
These services are designed to ensure your stay in Austria gets off to a good start, taking the worry out of moving to your new place of study and making sure you don't waste time and energy before starting your courses.
The additional services for foreign students are available for a one-off fee of Euro 500 including VAT.