In February and March 2013 ÖJAB asked residents of all its student hostels and youth residencies to complete a questionnaire as part of an internal best practice project. Over 800 residents took part, with over 40% of Austrian, and over 10% of foreign students responding.
The survey took place online and was publicised using posters (example on the right) in the hostels and residencies. Residents had the option of completing it anonymously. Only 14% wished to remain anonymous, as respondents who gave their name were entered into a prize draw to win one of five EUR 300 vouchers towards their accommodation fees.
Overview of key findings
- There are three main reasons why residents chose to live in ÖJAB accommodation: its location, the fees and friends’ recommendations. The most important reason residents then chose to remain in our accommodation was again its location. However, the friends they had made, the atmosphere and value for money were also very important factors.
- 87% felt they had received sufficient information about living in ÖJAB accommodation before moving in.
- 49% answered “no” and 38% “yes” when asked if they would move out of their accommodation if they found an apartment or shared apartment with the same monthly costs. The remaining 13% answered “other” because they felt the question was not formulated precisely enough. The most frequent comment was that an apartment would not have the same facilities as a student hostel or youth residence, e.g. gym, sauna or cleaning staff.
- The most common reason given for why residents would give up their place at their hostel or residence was the end of their course/degree programme, followed by an increase in accommodation fees and wanting to move into an apartment.
- Coming into contact with other residents was very important for 81% of respondents.
- For 63% being able to take part in events and activities at the hostel or residence (e.g. parties and use of the sports hall) was important.
- It was very important that the residence staff were available in the office, and that the management and staff could also be reached outside office hours in case of emergency for 80% of those questioned.
- 78% said that the regular room cleaning by ÖJAB cleaning staff was very important.
- 60% wanted shared kitchens to be kept rather than fitting kitchens inside rooms.
- A good, reliable internet connection was rated as essential by 95% of respondents.
- Two thirds of the residents surveyed reported that they would like to be able to move out of their accommodation during summer, and a third preferred 12-month contracts.
Please contact the ÖJAB head office for more information about this survey and our best practice project.